Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership: Principal (K-8, 7-12, or K-8 & 7-12)
The Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership: Principal is designed for individuals with master’s degrees who are seeking advanced professional preparation to become principals.
- Satisfy the Admission Requirements for Graduate Certificates.
- Satisfy the admission requirements for the program:
- Hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Document a minimum of 6 credits in graduate-level educational research methodology.
- Hold appropriate certification: current teacher or special services provider (Type C) certificate or equivalent.
- Provide a resume documenting educational experience including at least three years of experience as a certificated elementary teacher, secondary teacher or special services provider (Type C).
- Submit a writing sample.
- Submit three letters of recommendation or rating forms from professional references. At least one of the professional references must be from a current educational supervisor who has evaluated the candidate.
- Contact the School of Education for an admissions packet.
Background Check Requirements
See School of Education Field Placements.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Graduate Certificates.
- Complete the program requirements below.
This program includes courses delivered by distance. Admitted students must have the technological knowledge and skills to engage in distance learning (See Educational Leadership Program Handbook).
|EDL A610||Orientation to Graduate Studies in Leadership||2|
|EDL A637||Organizational Theory and Change||3|
|EDL A638||Instructional Leadership and Student Learning||3|
|EDL A639||Politics, Law and Ethics in Leadership||3|
|EDL A644||School Resource Allocation and Management||3|
|EDL A692A||Principal Seminar I||3|
|EDL A692B||Principal Seminar II||3|
|EDL A695||Principal Internship||6|
Complete portfolio documenting attainment of National Educational Leadership Preparation (NELP) standards.
Complete a total of 26 credits for the certificate.
State-Approved Verification Form and Alaska Certification
Following are the requirements for a state-approved verification form for the Alaska Type B Administrative Certificate with a principal endorsement:
- Completed all program courses with a minimum grade of C.
- Received a cumulative GPA of 3.00 in the program coursework.
- Posted Graduate Certificate on transcript.
- Met all requirements for a current Alaska Teacher Certificate or Type C Special Services Certificate.
- Completed three years of successful certificated contract experience as a teacher or special services provider.
- Earned a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Demonstrated technology skills appropriate to the field.
Requirements for administrative certification within the state of Alaska can be found at the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development.
Please go to UAA's Authorization by State website for information about licensure or certification in a state other than Alaska.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Student outcomes for these certificates are based on the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) Standards for School Leaders. Students who complete the Educational Leadership Graduate Certificate programs will be able to:
- Facilitate the development, implementation, and monitoring of shared vision of learning, involving all stakeholders.
- Shape, nurture, and sustain a school culture and instructional program based on student learning and professional growth.
- Ensure effective management of operations and resources for safe, efficient, and effective learning environment.
- Collaborate with family and community members to mobilize community resources to respond to diverse community interests and needs.
- Act with integrity and fairness in an ethical manner.
- Understand, respond to, and influence the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.