Graduate Certificate in Education Leadership: Principal (K-8, 7-12, or K-8 & 7-12)
The Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership: Principal is designed for individuals with master’s degrees who are seeking advanced professional preparation to become principals.
- Satisfy the Admission Requirements for Graduate Certificates.
- Hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- A minimum of 6 credits in graduate-level educational research methodology.
- Hold appropriate certification: current teacher or special services provider (Type C) certificate or equivalent for Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership: Principal.
- Provide a resume documenting educational experience including at least three years of experience as a certificated elementary teacher, secondary teacher or special services provider (Type C).
- Submit an educational goal statement.
- Submit three letters of recommendation or rating forms from professional references. At least one of the professional references must be from a current educational supervisor who has evaluated the candidate.
Background Check Requirements
See COE Field Placements.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Graduate Certificates.
- Complete the program requirements below.
This program includes courses delivered by distance. Admitted students must have the technological knowledge and skills to engage in distance learning (See Educational Leadership Program Handbook).
|EDL A610||Orientation to Graduate Studies in Leadership||2|
|EDL A637||Organizational Theory and Change||3|
|EDL A638||Instructional Leadership and Student Learning||3|
|EDL A639||Politics, Law and Ethics in Leadership||3|
|EDL A644||School Resource Allocation and Management||3|
|EDL A692A||Principal Seminar I||3|
|EDL A692B||Principal Seminar II||3|
|EDL A695||Principal Internship||6|
Complete portfolio documenting attainment of Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) standards.
Complete a total of 26 credits for the certificate and to apply for an institutional recommendation for the Type B Administrator Certificate with a principal endorsement from the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development (EED).
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Student outcomes for these certificates are based on the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) Standards for School Leaders. Students who complete the Educational Leadership Graduate Certificate programs will be able to:
- Facilitate the development, implementation, and monitoring of shared vision of learning, involving all stakeholders.
- Shape, nurture, and sustain a school culture and instructional program based on student learning and professional growth.
- Ensure effective management of operations and resources for safe, efficient, and effective learning environment.
- Collaborate with family and community members to mobilize community resources to respond to diverse community interests and needs.
- Act with integrity and fairness in an ethical manner.
- Understand, respond to, and influence the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.