Bachelor of Science in Sociology
All Sociology majors are strongly encouraged to meet with their faculty advisors each semester for the purpose of reviewing their academic progress and planning future courses. It is particularly important for students to meet with their faculty advisors when it appears that academic difficulties may arise.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the major requirements below.
|Core Sociology Courses|
|SOC A101||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|SOC A361||Social Science Research Methods||3|
|SOC A402||Social Theory||3|
|SOC A404||Environmental Sociology||3|
|SOC A462||Social Science Statistics||4|
|SOC A488||Capstone Seminar||3|
|Diversity and Inequality|
|Complete one of the following courses:||3|
|Marriages and Families|
|Sociology of Religion|
|Sociology of Gender|
|Sociology of Race and Ethnicity|
|Complete an additional 12 sociology credits, of which 6 credits must be upper-division.||12|
|Foundations in Ethics|
|PHIL A302||Biomedical Ethics||3|
|or PHIL A303||Environmental Ethics|
|Mathematics and Statistics|
|Complete two of the following courses:||6-8|
|College Algebra for Managerial and Social Sciences|
|College Algebra for Calculus|
|Applied Calculus for Managerial and Social Sciences|
|Statistics for Psychology|
|Applied Statistics for the Sciences|
|Probability and Statistics|
|Complete one additional upper-division course in math, statistics, natural sciences (ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, GEOL, PHYS), health sciences, geomatics, geography or environmental studies.||3-4|
A total of 120 credits is required for the degree, of which 42 credits must be upper-division.
Honors in Sociology
Students majoring in Sociology are eligible to graduate with departmental honors if they satisfy all of the following:
- Meet all the requirements for a BA or BS degree in Sociology.
- Maintain a grade point average of 3.50 or above in all Sociology courses.
- Attain a score at or above the 90th percentile on the ETS Major Field Test OR attain a score at or above the 85th percentile on the ETS Major Field Test and successfully complete an undergraduate research/service project resulting in a presentation at a conference, symposium, or community meeting.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Sociology will be able to:
- Demonstrate decision-making skills appropriate to evidence-based identification, understanding, and amelioration of social problems.
- Demonstrate fundamental technical proficiency in social science research in preparation for graduate level training or direct employment in professional fields utilizing the methods and analytical skills of the social sciences.
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively in preparation for work in organizations characterized by complexity, rapid change, and high levels of cultural diversity.