Associate of Applied Science in Business Computer Information Systems
English and math placement tests are given by the Testing Center. A faculty advisor can assist students by recommending the proper levels of entry and appropriate CIS course plan. Students who are not proficient in typing (a minimum of 30 words per minute) should enroll in CIOS A101A. Students must be able to read and comprehend technical manuals and texts.
A grade of C or better is required to continue in each higher CIS course. To take upper-division CIS courses, students must complete lower-division degree requirements and apply for upper-division standing.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Associate of Applied Science Degrees.
- Complete the General Course Requirements for Associate of Applied Science Degrees (15 credits). WRTG A212 is recommended. For the General Course Requirements, it is strongly recommended that students select 6 credits from humanities, math and natural sciences, or social sciences that also meet the baccalaureate General Education Requirements.
- Complete the program requirements below.
|ACCT A201||Principles of Financial Accounting *||3|
|ACCT A202||Principles of Managerial Accounting||3|
|CIS A110||Computer Concepts in Business||3|
|ECON A201||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|ECON A202||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|MATH A121||College Algebra for Managerial and Social Sciences||3-4|
|or MATH A151||College Algebra for Calculus|
|General Education Requirement elective **||3|
|Business Core Requirement|
|BA A273||Introduction to Statistics for Business and Economics||3|
|CIS Required Courses|
|CIS A210||Contemporary Business Applications Development||3|
|CIS A310||Analysis of Business Systems||3|
|CIS A330||Database Management Systems||3|
|CIS A345||Managing Data Communications and Computer Networks||3|
|Complete 9 elective credits approved by a CIS Department advisor. (No more than 3 credits of internship can be used to fulfill program electives)||9|
Choose a humanities or natural sciences course that meets both the AAS General Course Requirements and baccalaureate General Education Requirements.
A minimum of 12 credits from the CIS required courses and electives listed above must be earned at UAA.
A total of 60-61 credits is required for the degree.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an Associate of Applied Science in Business Computer Information Systems will be able to:
- Design, code, test, compile, and debug programs for basic business functions utilizing a popular programming language.
- Perform a business analysis to identify business functional requirements as input for information technology application development.
- Demonstrate skills in analyzing, designing, building, and administering business-oriented databases.
- Explain the fundamentals of our rapidly changing environment of data communications over local area networks and over switched and private voice lines.
- Demonstrate skills in installing, configuring, and debugging a small local area network.
- Demonstrate competency in utilizing computer technology.