Associate of Applied Science in Business Computer Information Systems
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Business Computer Information Systems (BCIS) prepares students for entry-level positions such as network administrator, programmer, web designer, help desk technician, user consultant, database administrator, etc. Career opportunities exist in private firms, government agencies, oil firms, and other businesses that use computers to manage information. The program emphasizes problem-solving techniques to analyze, design, program, implement, and manage solutions to business problems.
To provide maximum transferability to a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree, it is recommended that students meet with an advisor to selectively choose courses.
Complete the Admission Requirements for Associate Degrees.
A minimum grade of C is required to continue in each higher CIS course. Students wanting to register for upper-division CIS courses need to contact the CBPP Student Advising Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-786-4100.
- Complete the General University Requirements for Associate of Applied Science Degrees.
- Complete the General Education Requirements for Associate of Applied Science Degrees.
- A minimum of 12 credits from the CIS required courses and electives listed below must be earned at UAA.
- Complete the following major requirements:
|ACCT A201||Principles of Financial Accounting 1||3|
|ACCT A202||Principles of Managerial Accounting||3|
|BA A273||Introduction to Statistics for Business and Economics||3|
|CIS A110||Computer Concepts in Business||3|
|CIS A210||Contemporary Business Applications Development||3|
|CIS A310||Analysis of Business Systems||3|
|CIS A330||Database Management Systems||3|
|CIS A345||Managing Data Communications and Computer Networks||3|
|ECON A201||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|ECON A202||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|MATH A121||College Algebra for Managerial and Social Sciences||3-4|
|or MATH A151||College Algebra for Calculus|
|Complete 9 credits of CIS advisor-approved electives. No more than 3 credits of internship can be used to fulfill program electives.||9|
|Computer Electives. 2||6|
Complete 6 credits from CIS A250 or any 100-level course or higher, from the CS, CNT, or CSCE prefixes.
A minimum of 60 credits is required for the degree.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an Associate of Applied Science in Business Computer Information Systems will be able to:
- Design, code, test, compile, and debug programs for basic business functions utilizing a popular programming language.
- Perform a business analysis to identify business functional requirements as input for information technology application development.
- Demonstrate skills in analyzing, designing, building, and administering business-oriented databases.
- Explain the fundamentals of our rapidly changing environment of data communications over local area networks and over switched and private voice lines.
- Demonstrate skills in installing, configuring, and debugging a small local area network.
- Demonstrate competency in utilizing computer technology.