Occupational Endorsement Certificate in Veterinary Assisting
This program is delivered only through Matanuska-Susitna College.
A veterinary assistant plays a vital role within the veterinary profession. In the Veterinary Assisting Occupational Endorsement Certificate, students learn how to assist and support the veterinarian and the veterinary technician in their daily tasks. Students will learn the fundamentals required for the care, treatment and management of both the animals as patients and people as clients. Students learn the fundamentals of good customer service, communication skills and the essentials of clerical responsibilities. They further learn the fundamental skills of proper handling, nutrition and nursing care for both large and small animals. Students are introduced to clinical patient management and laboratory procedures.
This program has been defined as a gainful employment program. For more information about the education debt, earnings and completion rates of students who attend this program, please see the gainful employment disclosure.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Occupational Endorsement Certificates.
- Complete the program requirements below with a minimum grade of C.
|VETT A101||Introduction to the Veterinary Profession||1|
|VETT A103||Veterinary Office Procedures||3|
|VETT A122||Basic Handling and Behavior: Small Animals||2|
|VETT A123||Basic Handling and Behavior: Large Animals||2|
|VETT A124||Introduction to Small Animals||3|
|VETT A125||Introduction to Large Animals||3|
|VETT A201||Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|VETT A295||Veterinary Assistant Practicum||3|
A total of 21 credits is required for the certificate.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the occupational endorsement certificate, students will demonstrate:
- Knowledge of veterinary practice administration.
- Basic ability to handle and restrain large and small animals.
- Understanding of basic medical terminology.
- Introductory understanding of animal anatomy and physiology.
- Entry-level skills for laboratory procedures.
- Effective customer service and communication skills.