Undergraduate Certificate in Welding Technology
This program is delivered only through Kenai Peninsula College.
The one-year Undergraduate Certificate in Welding Technology provides students with specific training for structural and pipe welding certification. Students gain comprehensive training in the latest welding technology, blueprint reading, layout and fabrication. Graduates of this program will be prepared for employment as structural or pipe welders, and will have a solid welding background for many mechanical trades.
Experienced welders have the option of bypassing the first semester courses by successfully completing written and practical examinations on first semester work.
Advising for this program is available from the Welding faculty at Kenai Peninsula College. Please call (907) 262-0330 or (877) 262-0330 for more information.
Students should consult the Anchorage or Kenai Welding faculty for assistance with course planning toward certifications.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Undergraduate Certificates.
- Complete the Program Requirements below.
- Complete certificate course requirements with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00.
|WRTG A111||Writing Across Contexts||3|
|or COMM A111||Fundamentals of Oral Communication|
|or WRTG A110||Introduction to College Writing|
|MATH A105||Intermediate Algebra (or any MATH course for which MATH A105 is a prerequisite)||3|
|PETR A155||Process Industry Basics||3|
|WELD A102||Gas Welding||2|
|WELD A103||Arc Welding||4|
|WELD A104||Arc Welding: Low-Hydrogen Electrodes||4|
|WELD A105||Pipe Welding||4|
|WELD A106||Pipe Certification||4|
|WELD A108||Wire Welding||4|
|or WELD A109||TIG Welding|
All students must pass structural and pipe certification tests before receiving the Undergraduate Certificate in Welding Technology.
A total of 31 credits is required for the undergraduate certificate.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an Undergraduate Certificate in Welding Technology will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in the oxy-acetylene cutting process.
- Demonstrate competence in the preparation of steel-plate certified groove welds.
- Demonstrate competence in the welding of steel-plate all position groove welds.
- Demonstrate competence in the oxy-acetylene cutting process of steel pipe (both with freehand and machine cutting).
- Demonstrate competence in the preparation of steel pipe to be welded with the stick-electrode process for common sizes of pipe used in industry.
- Demonstrate competence in the welding of steel pipe per Procedure KPC-I for testing and welds common schedules and sizes of pipe used in industry.
- Complete structural and pipe certification national testing standards.