The federal Controlled Substances Act criminalizes possession and distribution of controlled substances, including marijuana, with a limited exception for certain federally approved research. The Drug Free Schools and Communities Act and the Drug Free Workplace Act require that UA, as a recipient of federal funding, establish policies that prohibit marijuana use, possession and distribution on campus and in the workplace.

This policy covers the consumption and possession of any marijuana products by any individual on university lands, at university facilities, at all university events, or while engaging in university-sanctioned activities away from campus. This includes all university-related travel and field work.

Marijuana Use, Possession, and Distribution

  1. Possession, use, distribution, or being under the influence of marijuana is prohibited. 

  2. Products that contain 0.3% or more of the THC compound are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: bud or leaf plant materials, edibles, extracts, concentrates, topicals, oils, and vaping devices such as electronic cigarettes and vaporizers. 

  3. Possession of marijuana paraphernalia is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to:  smoking devices, vaping devices such as electronic cigarettes and vaporizers, rolling papers, grinders, any item fashioned for the purpose of facilitating marijuana use (pipes, bongs, etc.), or items that conceal or disguise marijuana use.

  4. Production of marijuana on campus, or possessing materials used in the production of marijuana plant cultivation, is prohibited.

  5. Marijuana signage, such as posters, signs, or other imagery that glorifies the use of marijuana, may not be visible from the exterior of buildings.

  6. Possessing, selling, using, being under the influence of, distributing or providing synthetic cannabinoid products, such as K2 and Spice, is prohibited.

  7. Those who have a prescription provided by a licensed health care provider for use of marijuana for their health condition, may only use marijuana outside university property.

Marijuana Research

Academic research involving marijuana may be conducted at the university to the extent authorized under both federal and state law; such research must be conducted in compliance with all applicable regulations and policies, including but not limited to federal registration and licensing requirements administered by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency and applicable to research use of controlled substances.