Undergraduate Admissions

To meet Alaska's higher education needs and to serve all Alaskans, from first-time college students to working professionals, UAA's undergraduate programs range from short-term certificates to traditional two-year and four-year degrees. UAA offers the following undergraduate degree types: Occupational Endorsement Certificate, Certificate, Associate and Baccalaureate Programs. Below is information about program qualifications, application, and admission.

Admission Status Definitions

  • Admitted: All required documents have been received and all admission standards met. Students can receive any financial aid for which they are eligible in admitted status and register for future terms.
  • Admitted Incomplete (Accepted): In-progress transcripts have been received, but required final documents have not.
    • Applicants may enroll for their first semester while in this status, but cannot register for a subsequent semester.  
    • Applicants who have not provided all required documents before registration for the following semester will have their application for admission withdrawn.
    • Students cannot receive financial aid while in this status.
  • Postponing Application: Applicants who do not attend may postpone the application once for up to one year by notifying the Office of Admissions prior to the deadline.
  • Withdrawing Application: Applications will be withdrawn if applicants:
    • do not attend classes during the semester for which they applied or postpone their application by the deadline, or
    • do not provide all required documents before registration for the following term.  

Program Qualifications 

Occupational Endorsement Certificate

To qualify for admission to an OEC program, a student must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Have earned a high school diploma or U.S. GED, or
  • Meet one of the options under Admission for Non-High School Graduates.

Not all OEC programs are approved for financial aid.

Associate and Certificate Programs

To qualify for admission to an undergraduate certificate or associate degree program, a student must:

  • Have earned a high school diploma or U.S. GED, or
  • Meet one of the options under Admission for Non-High School Graduates.

There is no minimum grade point average (GPA) requirement for certificate and associate level admission.

Baccalaureate Programs

To qualify for admission to baccalaureate programs, a student must:

  • Have earned a high school diploma or U.S. GED, or meet one of the options under Admission for Non-High School Graduates or Special Information for Home School Applicants.
  • High school GPA of at least 2.50 or
  • Cumulative college GPA of at least 2.00 (must have 24 earned credits).

Applicants not meeting the GPA requirements above may be admitted to certain baccalaureate programs on probation.

  • High school graduates with a GPA of 2.00 through 2.49
  • Transfer students with a collegiate GPA of 1.75 through 1.99.

Applicants with lower GPAs will be offered admission to the Associate of Arts program.

For students in high school at the time of application, the admission decision will be based on the high school GPA. If the student has more than 24 college-level credits and would like to have the college GPA reviewed as part of the admission process, contact the Office of Admissions. Transcripts for all college-level coursework are required to complete the application file. 

Some programs have additional admission requirements, selective admission criteria or limited space. See Undergraduate Programs for specific program information.

Applying for Admission

To apply for admission to an undergraduate program, please submit the following: 

  1. Application for admission
  2. Official high school transcript or U.S. GED scores showing either graduation or enrollment in final year of high school (if fewer than 24 college level credits).
    1. Home school applicants should review the Home School Applicant - Special Instructions below.
    2. Students who did not graduate from high school or do not hold a GED should refer to the Admission for Non-High School Graduates below.
  3. College or university transcripts from all institutionally accredited or foreign institutions attended (except University of Alaska campuses). This is required of all applicants who have completed at least one college-level course. 
    1. Students currently in college should submit a current or in-progress transcript at the time of application.
    2.  An official final transcript is required after completion of the term or graduation showing final grades and/or a graduate date for any college-level courses taken; 
    3. The Office of Admissions will automatically retrieve records for courses taken at other University of Alaska campuses and via University of Alaska distance education.

An Undergraduate Application for Admission is complete when all required items listed above are received. For students who have attended another college or university, a admission decision will be made once transcripts are received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions.  Any substantial change in academic performance, including failure to graduate, which occurs after admissions to UAA, may lead to revocation of admission to UAA. This will also lead to the immediate termination and repayment of financial aid. 

Test scores are not used as part of the admissions decision for most programs. The University of Alaska uses placement exams as part of UAA’s advising and registration process to determine course placement. Scores must be sent to the UAA Office of Admissions directly from the testing agency. 

All transcripts, test scores and other supporting documents submitted for admission or transfer credit evaluation become the property of the University and are only released or copied for use within the University of Alaska system. They cannot be reissued, copied, or returned to the student.

Home School Applicants - Special Instructions

UAA welcomes applicants from home school environments. UAA can accept transcripts from home schools that meet the requirements of their state department of education.

Applicants from home schools within the state of Alaska should submit an official transcript that includes:

  • the name and physical address of the home school or a school-affiliated organization, 
  • all course work, credits, and grades earned, 
  • educator’s signature, 
  • graduation date on a final transcript or anticipated graduation date on a partial transcript.

Applicants from home schools outside Alaska must provide:

  • an official transcript as described above,
  • the home school requirements of their state department of education, and
  • proof that the home school meets their state's requirements.

If this documentation is not available or an applicant does not meet the home school admission requirements, UAA offers several alternative paths to admission. For more information, see section Admission for Non-High School Graduates.

Non-High School Graduates - Special Instructions

UAA has three paths to admission for applicants who have not graduated from high school: 

  1. Provide proof of high school graduation equivalency. UAA accepts U.S. GED, HiSET, or a high school equivalency test that is recognized by the state in which the applicant resides.
  2. Pass an Ability to Benefit test administered by the UAA Testing Center. Applicants admitted with the Ability to Benefit will be eligible for financial aid only if they have completed at least 6 hours of college-level coursework before July 1, 2012.
  3. Provide an academic transcript documenting successful completion of an Associate of Arts program. 

International Students - Special Instructions

International students who intend to reside in the United States for the purpose of pursuing a UAA certificate or degree as an F-1 visa student and who need a Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant F-1 Student Status, must fully meet University and program admission requirements before a Form I-20 will be issued. 

International students in F-1 visa status must be formally admitted, full-time, degree-seeking students. Health insurance is mandatory.  Visit the International Student Services web site for details and forms.

To qualify for admissions as an international student:

  1. Fulfill the UAA application requirements for the selected program of study.
    1. All non-U.S. and French Canadian transcripts must be translated and evaluated using World Education Service’s (WES) International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) or Basic Course-by-Course Evaluation.
    2. All U.S. and English Canadian official transcripts and credentials must be submitted by the issuing institution directly to the UAA Office of Admissions.
  2. Meet the following English language proficiency standards:
    1. A TOEFL score of 71, or
    2. An IELTS score of 6.0, or
    3. Have an approved exemption from the English language proficiency standards.
  3. Submit an Affidavit of Financial Support from the student or the student’s financial sponsor and documentation of financial resources to cover one full academic year of study. Loss of financial sponsorship while enrolled at UAA may result in the student being advised to exit the U.S.
  4. Students transferring from other institutions in the U.S. must complete the F-1 Transfer Eligibility Form.

Official test score reports from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must be sent directly from the testing agency to the UAA Office of Admissions. Student score reports are not accepted.

International students may request an exemption from the language exam requirements if they:

  • have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from an institutionally accredited U.S. institution.
  • have earned a grade of C or better in a course equivalent to WRTG A111 or higher at an institutionally accredited U.S. institution, or
  • are a native speaker of English.

The Office of Admissions reserves the right to require additional English proficiency evidence, even from those who are eligible for an examination exemption.

UAA may not issue an I20 to International students that have previously not made satisfactory academic progress or based on their current immigration status.

All academic credentials, WES transcript evaluations, affidavits of support and financial documentation should be sent directly to the UAA Office of Admissions, 3211 Providence Dr., Anchorage, AK 99508.


Transcripts are required for students who have attended or completed university work at an institutionally accredited institution. Additionally, final high school transcripts may be required for admissions to specific degree programs. 

It is the applicant’s responsibility to request required transcripts. The UAA Office of Admissions cannot request transcripts from high schools or other colleges or universities.

Students should send official transcripts to the UAA Office of Admissions electronically, via mail or via courier service. Hand-carried transcripts must be in the original sealed envelope from the issuing institution. Faxed transcripts are not accepted as final transcripts.

All transcripts, test scores and other supporting documents submitted for admission or transfer credit evaluation become the property of the University and are only released or copied for use within the University of Alaska system. They cannot be reissued, copied or returned to the student.

General Undergraduate Admission Information

Pre-Majors/Exploratory Majors

Students applying to programs with selective admission criteria or limited space may initially be admitted to a pre-major status. Admission to pre-major status does not guarantee subsequent admission to the major. Students are advised to contact their program advisor at the earliest opportunity for further information about the program’s special requirements and for guidance in selecting appropriate preparatory classes.

Students admitted to pre-major status must satisfy all requirements for formal admission to the major and then complete the change of major process. Such changes will not affect a student’s degree requirements or catalog year.

Students admitted to the exploratory major must satisfy all requirements for formal admission to a major and then complete the change of major process. A change of major from the exploratory major to an official degree or certificate program will initiate a new catalog year. 

Change of Major, Degree, Admission Level and Concurrent Degrees

Once formally admitted and in attendance, students may request a change of major, or change degree programs at the same level or a lower level, to another program through the change of major process. Students admitted initially in the exploratory major may also declare a major through this process. Students must meet the specific admission requirements of the desired program and follow the change of major process. No fee is required for this process.

To change from a baccalaureate level program to a certificate/associate level program, a student must follow the change of major process. If a student later decides to complete a baccalaureate program,  they will need to reapply for admission.

To change from a certificate/associate level program to a baccalaureate level program, a student must reapply for admission and meet all the requirements for the new admission level.

Students may pursue concurrent UAA degrees as long as they have formally applied and been accepted to each program. For more information, see Undergraduate Policies.


Students must enroll in courses and attend during the semester in which they are admitted. Applications for those not in attendance or postponed will be withdrawn.

Length of Admissions

Once formally admitted and in attendance (students must enroll in courses and attend during the semester in which they are admitted), students remain admitted to the institution:

  • as long as the catalog is active, and 

  • there is not a break in attendance of 2 years, and

  • they have not been academically disqualified.

For more information, see Change of Major or Degree, or Returning to UAA After a Break in Enrollment.

Returning to UAA After a Break in Enrollment

Undergraduate students who discontinue their enrollment at UAA for two years or less remain admitted and may register for courses during normal registration periods. If applicable, they must submit official transcripts from institutions attended during their absence for transfer credit evaluation. 

Admission to the University and academic program(s) is automatically canceled for undergraduate students who do not attend UAA for two years or more. To return to UAA, students must complete a new application for admission and, if admitted, will be required to follow the program and graduation requirements under the new catalog year.

Reapplying After Academic Disqualification or Removal from Program

Procedures for students academically disqualified can be found under Academic Standing.