Please note: The Bachelors of Arts in Early Childhood Education and in
Elementary Education, the Post-Baccalaureate Certificates in Early Childhood
and in Elementary Education, the Graduate Certificate in Special Education
(K-12) initial licensure track, the Master of Arts in Teaching, and the
Master of Education in Early Childhood Special Education initial licensure
track no longer hold specialized accreditation from the National Council
for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) as of December 31, 2018.
The Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Public Communications voluntarily withdrew from specialized accreditation by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC).
General University Requirements
- Students must be admitted to the program and must complete the certificate program requirements listed for their program. Each program is listed under its offering college.
- When completing the last half of a certificate program, students must earn at least 50 percent of the credits in residence. For example, in a 30-credit certificate program, at least 8 of the last 15 must be resident credits. Additional residency credit requirements, to meet discipline or accreditation standards, may be established.
- Students must earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 (C) at UAA. Some certificate programs require higher GPAs.
- Students must earn a minimum of 30 credits at the 100 level or above for an undergraduate certificate.
- Controlling Catalog:
- Students may elect to graduate under the requirements of any catalog in effect during the five years after formal acceptance to the program.
- If the requirements for a certificate, as specified in the entry-year catalog, are not met within five years of formal acceptance into the program, admission expires and the student must reapply for admission and meet the admission and graduation requirements in effect at the time of formal acceptance.
- Students may earn more than one certificate by completing all requirements for each additional program.
- Undergraduate certificates that share a common core must differ by at least 6 credits.