Financial Obligations and Payment
The University of Alaska Anchorage reserves the right to withhold final grades, transcripts or diplomas from students who have not fulfilled all their financial obligations to the institution. Permission to register will be denied for adding or auditing courses, or a student’s current registration may be canceled. Students are held financially responsible for all courses for which they register. Interest, late fees or collection costs will be added to a student’s account. Past due accounts will be sent to a collection agency and reported to the credit bureau. The university is authorized to garnish Alaska Permanent Fund dividends for payment of past due accounts under Alaska Statues 14.40.251 and 43.23.073. For questions about past due accounts, contact Collections in Accounts Receivable at email@example.com .
Unless a preferred email is designated, UAA will use the UAA-assigned e-mail address to communicate with students on many important matters, including financial matters. Please refer to Student Freedoms, Rights & Responsibilities for details. Students may add or update their preferred email address in UAOnline.
All tuition, fees and other charges for the semester must be paid at the time of registration or by the payment deadline. Please refer to Dates and Deadlines for more details. Late-starting classes and miscellaneous charges after the payment deadline should be paid when the charge is incurred and are subject to any subsequent late fee assessments during the term.
Important facts about your student account:
- A paper bill will not be mailed.
- An electronic bill will be generated on the 15th of each month and an email reminder will be sent to your UAA-assigned e-mail address. Additionally, the bill is available via UAOnline.
- UAA does not initiate drop for non-payment.
- Tuition and fee charges may be audited, corrected, and adjusted at any time. Students are notified of adjustments by e-mail. The university reserves the right to change its tuition or fees at any time
4 ways to pay your bill:
- Online at UAOnline or through the TMS Student Account Center. Payment by credit/debit card includes a non-refundable service fee of 2.75% of the transaction amount or $3, whichever is greater. Web check (ACH) payments can be made on UAOnline or on the TMS Student Account Center and will not be assessed the service fee and will remain free.
- Pay in person with check, money order, or cash at UAA Cashiering in the University Center.
- Send a check or money order to UAA Cashiering, PO Box 141609, Anchorage, AK 99514-1609. Please be sure to include the student ID number of the account you would like credited.
- International payments may be made using Flywire.
Students requiring a payment plan may enroll with Tuition Management Services online at: https://uaaalaska.afford.com, or by calling 1-800-722-4867.
See payment plan information on the Accounting Services website for the available payment plan options.
Refund processing is automatic for students who officially drop courses or withdraw from the university by the refund deadlines. Students are responsible for thoroughly reading the class listing and being aware of the published refund deadlines for their particular classes. The date of official drop or withdrawal activity determines eligibility for a refund.
Students who drop or withdraw, or who are administratively dropped or withdrawn from courses as a result of university disciplinary action, forfeit all rights to any refund.
Tuition and fee charges may be audited, corrected and adjusted before the end of the current semester. Students are notified of adjustments by mail. No refunds are issued for $5 or less. The university reserves the right to change its tuition or fees at any time.
If tuition and fees are paid at any time in a semester by credit card, the credit card will be refunded (up to the amount paid) if a credit is later created on the account. This includes, but is not limited to, credits created by scholarships, federal aid, personal checks and tuition waivers. If tuition was paid by cash or check, a refund check will be mailed to the student’s mailing address. A charge of $18.50 is assessed for all checks reissued due to a stop-payment request by the student. For questions regarding refunds, contact Disbursements at firstname.lastname@example.org
Regular Tuition, Credit Courses (full semester)
- One hundred percent of both the tuition and course fees are automatically refunded when official drop activity is completed by the second Friday of the semester.
- No refund is issued for a drop/withdrawal after the second Friday of the semester.
- For classes with irregular start or end dates, the 100 percent refund period ends five business days after the start of the class. Please refer to the summer class listing for the summer term refund policy.
If UAA cancels a class, a 100 percent refund of tuition and course fees is automatically processed. Refund processing dates are listed in the class listing.
Withdrawal from Classes
No tuition fee refund or exchange will be allowed for withdrawal after the drop deadline.
Noncredit, CEU and Self-Support Classes
One hundred percent of all tuition charged is refunded if the student officially drops at least two business days before the first class begins. There is no refund after this time.
Petition for Refund
In the event of extenuating circumstances, a student or person with legal authority to act on behalf of a student, may petition for an exception to University policy on refunds of tuition and fees. Petitions are not automatically granted but will be considered in light of the criteria set forth below and the individual circumstances of the request. Being unaware of university procedures or deadlines does not constitute justification for refund. Refunds are rarely granted and only when extenuating circumstances are documented.
- Only requests submitted by the student or by a person with legal authority to act on behalf of the student will be considered.
- The deadline to submit a Petition for Refund is no later than one academic year following the semester in which the course was offered. Requests that are not received within this time frame will not be considered.
- At the time a Petition for Refund is filed, the student must already have already withdrawn or received a failing or No Basis. Refunds will not be considered for courses in which a student is still registered or for which a passing grade, Incomplete, Deferred or Audit grade exists.
- Decisions will be made solely on supporting documentation provided. In all cases a personal statement from the student is required summarizing the situation and explaining the need for an exception to the refund deadline.
- A request will only be approved if the petitioner can demonstrate unanticipated and unavoidable circumstances beyond the student’s control that arose or came to light after published deadlines. Work-related issues, financial hardship and failure to read UAA’s documents generally do not present justifiable reasons to support a refund request.
- Petitions for refund for self-support courses are generally not allowed an must have approval of the academic unit/department chair or director.
- Mandatory Student Fees are not refundable unless a student drops all courses during the 100% refund period.
- If the petition for refund is approved, refunds will be issued to the original funding source, e.g., credit card, financial aid, granting agency, lending agency, etc.
- Petitions will be reviewed periodically and the number of petitions being reviewed will determine the time for response. All charges and late fees are considered true and correct and are therefore not suspended during the review process. The university reserves the right to move forward on all collection efforts during the review process.
- Requests for reconsideration of an adverse decision must be in writing, provide additional documentation not presented in the original request and be received within 10 working days of the day the decision is mailed or otherwise distributed to the student.
- Requests for adding courses after the add/drop deadline or requests to retroactively withdraw from courses must be applied for separately through Request for Late Add or Retroactive Withdrawal process.
- Complaints about dissatisfaction with academic courses, methods of course delivery or instructor performance are not considered under this process. Depending on the nature of the complaint, these matters are considered according to the Student Dispute/Complaint Resolution Process or the Academic Dispute Resolution Procedure, which can be found in the UAA Student Handbook.
Military Students Called to Active Duty or Deployment
Students called to active duty or involuntarily activated, deployed or relocated during an academic term are eligible for 100 percent refund of tuition and fees, and a prorated adjustment on housing and meal plans. See Course Performance for more information.