General University Requirements (GURs)
University requirements for all post-baccalaureate certificates are as follows:
- The student must complete at least 12 approved semester credits earned after the posting of their previous degree.
- The student must complete all requirements established by the program.
- Courses at the 500-level are for professional development and are not applicable toward any certificate, even by petition.
- At all course levels, a grade of C is minimally acceptable.
- At least two-thirds of the credits required for the certificate must be taken at the upper-division (300-400) or graduate (600) level.
- Up to one-third of the semester credits earned after the posting of their previous degree may be transferred to UAA from an institutionally accredited institution and counted toward a post-baccalaureate certificate. Quarter credits are converted to semester credits by multiplying quarter credits by two-thirds. Acceptance of transfer credit toward program requirements is at the discretion of the individual program.
- Individual college deans or designees may allow credit earned at other universities in the UA system, excluding credit used toward another degree or certificate, to be transferred to UAA, as long as at least 9 credits applicable to the student’s certificate program are earned at UAA after acceptance into the program.
- Courses taken through credit by examination or graded credit/no credit (CR/NC) do not count toward certificate requirements. They may, however, be used to satisfy prerequisites or to establish competency in a subject, thus allowing the advisor or committee to waive certain courses in an established program, as long as the total credits in the certificate program remain the same.
- If the requirements for a post-baccalaureate certificate are not met within seven years of formal acceptance into the program, admission expires and the student must reapply for admission and meet the admission requirements in effect at the time of readmission or graduation (see Catalog Year in Academic Standards and Regulations).
- All credits counted toward the post-baccalaureate certificate, including transfer credits, must be earned within the consecutive seven-year period prior to graduation.