The Certificate in Dena’ina Language Instruction prepares students for applying knowledge, resources, and skills appropriate for a variety of entry-level jobs that use Dena’ina Dene language and for teaching beginning Dena’ina Language. Students who earn this certificate will be able to demonstrate a level of low intermediate speech ability and demonstrate proficiency in beginning Dena’ina language instruction. The style of Dena’ina taught in this program is Upper and Inland.
- Complete the Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Certificates.
- For students who will complete a field study placement, they will have to be prepared to complete a background check if their site requires one.
- Complete the General University Requirements for Undergraduate Certificates.
- Complete the following major requirements with a minimum grade of C:
|AKNS A101F||Elementary Dena'ina Language I||4|
|AKNS A102F||Elementary Dena'ina Language II||4|
|AKNS A114F||Dena'ina Reading and Writing||4|
|AKNS A240F||Alaska Native Cultural Orientation: Dena'ina||3|
|AKNS A292B||Alaska Native Language Conversational Fluency Intensive 1||1|
|AKNS A301||Introduction to Indigenous Language Revitalization||1|
|AKNS A395||Native Language Instructor Practicum||3|
|AKNS A421||Indigenous Language Curriculum Design & Instruction||3|
|AKNS A495A||Indigenous Language Instructor Internship||3|
Must be in Dena'ina Language
A minimum of 30 credits is required for the certificate.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an Undergraduate Certificate in Dena'ina Language Instruction will be able to:
- Demonstrate low intermediate speaking proficiency, with conversational speaking skills as described in the ACTFL Guidelines standards.
- Read and comprehend basic Dena’ina, including words and sentences pertaining to everyday topics, at a level comparable to their speaking proficiency on ACTFL standards.
- Locate and assess Dena’ina Dene language resources and reference materials for diverse situations and proficiency levels.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Dena’ina history, culture, arts, and issues in the Dena'ina region.
- Examine cross-cultural communication, cultural values, and working with Elders.
- Write beginner lessons in Dena’ina language
- Deliver beginner lessons in Dena’ina language in classroom settings.