- Complete the General University Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the following major requirements:
|PS A101||Introduction to American Government||3|
|PS A102||Introduction to Political Science||3|
|PS A492||Senior Seminar in Politics||3|
|Complete one course from each of the four areas below:||12|
|Comparative Political Economy|
|United States Foreign Policy|
|History of Political Philosophy I: Classical|
|History of Political Philosophy II: Modern|
|The American Political Tradition|
|American Political Development|
|Complete 12 additional credits in PS courses. PS A490 may be repeated for up to 6 credits with a change in subtitle.||12|
A total of 120 credits is required for the degree, of which 39 credits must be upper-division; a minimum of 33 credits must be from PS courses.
Honors in Political Science
Students majoring in political science are eligible to graduate with departmental honors if they satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Meet the requirements for a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science;
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.50 in courses applicable to the degree requirements;
- Complete PS A492 in the final term of study with a grade of A or B;
- Receive an honors score (based upon criteria established by the department) on a comprehensive examination for majors.
Departmental honors are awarded by the political science faculty.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to write clear and precise English prose.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand basic principles of American government.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand the relationship between the United States and the larger world.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and criticize competing political science arguments.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and interpret important political texts.
- Demonstrate the ability to write a satisfactory senior-level research paper.
- Demonstrate knowledge of each recognized field within political science.