Bachelor of Science in Occupational Safety and Health
Meet with an advisor to complete the advising interview checklist. Students must contact the OSH department at (907) 786-6423 prior to registering for OSH courses.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- In order to receive the Bachelor of Science in Occupational Safety and Health, students must achieve a grade of C or better in all courses required for the degree.
- Complete the major requirements below.
|AKNS A201||Alaska Native Perspectives *||3|
|Complete one of the following:||3-4|
|Introductory Biology *|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I *|
|CHEM A103||Survey of Chemistry *||3|
|CHEM A103L||Survey of Chemistry Laboratory *||1|
|JPC A204||Media Literacy *||3|
|JPC A362||Principles of Strategic Communications||3|
|MATH A151||College Algebra for Calculus *||4|
|WRTG A212||Writing and the Professions||3|
|Complete one of the following:||3|
|Professional Ethics *|
|PHYS A123||Basic Physics I *||3|
|Complete one of the following||3|
|General Psychology *|
|Introduction to Behavior Analysis *|
|STAT A252||Elementary Statistics *||3|
|TECH A305||Applied Leadership for Technicians||3|
|FIRE A105||Fire Prevention||3|
|OSH A101||Introduction to Occupational Safety and Health||3|
|OSH A108||Injury Prevention and Risk Management||3|
|OSH A111||Occupational Safety Training Needs and Methods||3|
|OSH A120||Safety Program Management and Recordkeeping||3|
|OSH A160||Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene||3|
|OSH A201||Hazard Control: Inspections, Audits and Investigations||3|
|OSH A211||Safety Management Systems||4|
|OSH A215||Environmental Issues for Safety and Health Professionals||3|
|OSH A230||Principles of Ergonomics||3|
|OSH A240||Workplace Monitoring: Instrumentation and Calibration||3|
|OSH A250||Hazardous Materials Operations||3|
|OSH A305||Incident Investigation and Analysis||3|
|OSH A310||Human Factors||3|
|OSH A360||Advanced Industrial Hygiene||3|
|OSH A375||Process Safety Management||3|
|OSH A405||Construction Industry Safety Management||3|
|OSH A420||Legal Aspects of Safety||3|
|OSH A450||Risk Management for Safety and Health||3|
|Complete 9 credits of electives||9|
|Selected Topics in Occupational Safety and Health|
|Advanced Occupational Safety and Health Internship|
|OSH A460||Economic Value of Safety||3|
May satisfy General Education Requirements (GERs).
A total of 120 credits is required for the degree.
- Anticipate, recognize, evaluate, and develop control strategies for hazardous conditions and unsafe work practices.
- Apply the fundamental aspects of occupational safety: industrial hygiene, environmental science, fire science, hazardous materials, ergonomics and human factors.
- Design, implement, and evaluate safety, health, and environmental programs.
- Apply adult learning theory to the design and delivery of safety training programs.
- Interpret and apply applicable standards, regulations, and codes.
- Conduct incident/accident investigations and analyses.
- Evaluate and apply business and risk management concepts.