This program is delivered only through the Prince William Sound College.
The Occupational Endorsement Certificate (OEC) in Marine Natural Resources Technician prepares students for careers in marine natural resources and marine science. The mission of the OEC in Marine Natural Resources Technician is to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary for successful employment at the technician level in marine natural resources and marine science through hands-on training and coursework.
- OEC will be offered in a semester-long format, in Valdez. For more detailed information, refer to program website.
- Travel to and work in field settings for some projects.
- Work in inclement weather.
- Work for extended periods of time for some courses.
- Lift up to 22 kilograms for some projects.
- Complete the General University Requirements for Occupational Endorsement Certificates.
- Complete the following major requirements:
|Biota of Alaska: Selected Topics 1
|Introduction to Marine Biology
& BIOL A179
|Introduction to Oceanography
and Introduction to Oceanography Laboratory
|or STAT A200
|Complete 3 credits from the following: 2
|Industrial Technology Internship
|First Aid and CPR for Professionals
|Marine Boathandling and Safety
|Basic Workplace Safety
This is a variable-credit, selected topics course. Students must take this course as a 3-credit course specifically offered for this Occupational Endorsement Certificate.
Other electives may apply with department approval.
A minimum of 16 credits is required for the degree.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an Occupational Endorsement Certificate in Marine Natural Resources Technician will be able to:
- Complete basic techniques in marine science;
- Demonstrate an understanding of concepts and principles in marine natural resource activities;
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of marine organisms;
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic math skills.