This program is delivered only through Kodiak College.
Students can earn an Occupational Endorsement Certificate (OEC) in Alutiiq Language (also known as Sugpiaq) on their transcript through Kodiak College. The transcripted certificate is available to any student who receives grades of C or higher in the series of courses. Attainment of the OEC in Alutiiq Language will provide knowledge, resources and skills appropriate for a variety of entry-level jobs that use the Alutiiq language. Taken together, the courses introduce students to conversational speech and basic Alutiiq writing, reading and grammar, as well as contextual information about Alaskan language relationships, language endangerment and language revitalization. Students who earn this OEC will be able to certify a level of intermediate speech ability according to the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) scale through completion of an oral proficiency assessment. The style of Alutiiq taught in this program is Kodiak Island Alutiiq.
Satisfy the Application and Admission Requirements for Occupational Endorsement Certificates.
Advising for this program is available from the Kodiak College Alaska Native Studies faculty at (907) 486-1276.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Occupational Endorsement Certificates.
- Complete the program requirements below with a grade of C or better.
|AKNS A101E||Elementary Alutiiq Language I||4|
|AKNS A102E||Elementary Alutiiq Language II||4|
|AKNS A114E||Alutiiq and Sugpiaq Reading and Writing||3|
|AKNS A292B||Alaska Native Language Conversational Fluency Intensive *||1|
|Choose one of the following:||3|
|Alaska Native Cultural Orientation - Alutiiq/Sugpiaq|
|Alaska Native Language Apprenticeship|
Completion of AKNS A292B with a grade of C or higher requires a minimum of intermediate-level conversational proficiency, based on the ACTFL oral proficiency assessment conducted at the conclusion of the course. Students who do not attain intermediate speaking ability may retake the course until successful.
A total of 16 credits is required for the certificate.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this OEC, students will be prepared to
- Demonstrate intermediate speaking proficiency, with conversational speaking skills as described in the ACTFL 2012 proficiency standards.
- Read and comprehend basic Alutiiq, including words and sentences pertaining to everyday topics, at level comparable to their speaking proficiency.
- Define and identify measures of language endangerment, describe Alaska Native language relationships, and compare theories of second language acquisition for threatened languages.
- Locate and assess Alutiiq language resources and reference materials for diverse situations and proficiency levels.