Undergraduate Certificate in Dental Assisting
Special admission requirements apply. Interested individuals must contact an advisor in Dental Assisting to review procedures and requirements for admission.
- Complete a dental assisting application form and mail to:
UAA Dental Assisting Program
Allied Health Sciences Building, Room 148
3211 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508-8371
- Complete UAA-approved English and mathematics placement tests. Contact Testing Center at (907) 786-4500 for testing times. If test scores are low, additional coursework will be recommended to help the applicant achieve the goal of completing the Dental Assisting program.
- Two letters of recommendation sent to the Dental Assisting program (on the required forms) are mandatory. Preferably these letters should come from former or current employers or instructors.
The information listed above must be in the applicant’s file before they will be considered for admission in the program in the fall semester of the year applying.
Applicants with complete files are selected for admission based upon their test scores, grades in high school and college, ability to complete the application process, and dental assisting experience. If test results are low, applicants will be advised to take courses to improve reading comprehension levels; proof of successful course completion must be provided prior to acceptance into the program.
Expenses beyond tuition include activity fees, uniforms, lab fees, student organization membership, immunizations, cost of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) class, Dental Assisting National Board Exam (DANB) fees, and student health insurance.
Immunizations and CPR certification are required prior to clinical participation and must be current throughout the program. Students must be free of tooth decay and active periodontal disease.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Undergraduate Certificates.
- Complete the Program Requirements below.
|DA A101||Essentials of Dentistry||3|
|DA A102||Infection Control in Dentistry||3|
|DA A110||Dental Radiography||3|
|DA A110L||Dental Radiography Laboratory||1|
|DA A127||Dental Office Administration||3|
|DA A130||Chairside Techniques I||4|
|DA A150||Biomedical and Dental Sciences for Dental Assistants||3|
|DA A160||Materials in Dentistry||3|
|DA A195A||Clinical Practicum I||1|
|DA A201||Chairside Techniques II||4|
|DA A202||Dental Specialties for Dental Auxiliaries||3|
|DA A295A||Clinical Practicum II||3|
A total of 34 credits is required for the certificate.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an Undergraduate Certificate in Dental Assisting will be able to:
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge necessary to be competent in the dental assisting field.
- Demonstrate professional standards according to OSHA, ADA, OSAP, ADAA and radiation health and safety standards.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in a dental office setting.