This program is delivered only through Kenai Peninsula College.
The Occupational Endorsement Certificate in Marine Mammal Biology prepares students to quickly enter the local workforce as technicians, biologists, and marine mammal observers (for fisheries and oil/gas exploration). Students will receive vital education and experiential training required in these workforce sectors, and via their internships will be connected with biological organizations in need of employees, meeting the needs of local employers in the short-term and beyond.
- Complete the Admission Requirements for Occupational Endorsement Certificates.
- Complete the Semester by the Bay OEC student application form.
- Qualitative experience(s) in ecology - prerequisite course in Principles of Ecology, Environmental Science, or Program Chair waiver based on relevant experience as demonstrated in student entrance essay and/or artifact submission.
- Lifting up to 22 kilograms for some projects
- Working in inclement weather and/or for extended periods of time for some courses
- Working in remote field settings for some projects
- Traveling to remote field sites for some courses
- Complete the General University Requirements for Occupational Endorsement Certificates.
- Complete the following major requirements with a minimum grade of C:
|BIOL A325||Advanced Marine Skeletal Articulation (Advanced Marine Skeletal Articulation)||2|
|BIOL A430||Marine Mammal Biology||3|
|BIOL A432||Experiential Learning: Marine Mammal Biology (EL: Marine Mammal Biology)||2|
|BIOL A458||Behavioral Ecology of Marine Mammals (Behavioral Ecology of Marine Mammals)||3|
|BIOL A459||Experiential Learning: Behavioral Ecology of Marine Mammals (EL: Behavioral Ecology of Marine Mammals)||2|
|BIOL A492A||Undergraduate Seminar: Semester by the Bay (Undergraduate Seminar: Semester by the Bay)||1|
|BIOL A495A||Internship in the Biological Sciences||3|
A minimum of 16 credits is required for the certificate.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an Occupational Endorsement Certificate in Marine Mammal Biology will be able to:
- Describe the biology, ecology and behavior of marine mammals
- Demonstrate contributions to long-term marine mammal research projects
- Describe the current issues associated with marine mammals in Alaska
- Demonstrate common field and lab skills used by marine mammal biologists