Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
Students are strongly encouraged to talk to a faculty advisor in the Chemistry Department to ensure that the necessary math and science courses are taken in the first two years of study.
In order to graduate with a BS in Chemistry, all courses covered under major requirements must be completed with a grade C or better.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the major requirements below.
Students complete a BS in Chemistry with a biochemistry emphasis.
|BIOL A108||Principles and Methods in Biology||6|
|BIOL A242||Fundamentals of Cell Biology||3|
|BIOL A243||Experiential Learning: Cell Biology and Genetics||4|
|BIOL A252||Principles of Genetics||3|
|BIOL A461||Molecular Biology||3|
|or BIOL A465||Experiential Learning: Molecular Biology|
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry I Laboratory
|General Chemistry II|
and General Chemistry II Laboratory
|CHEM A208||Principles of Bioinorganic Chemistry||3|
|CHEM A218||Experiential Learning: Quantitative Chemical Analysis||5|
|CHEM A321||Organic Chemistry I||3|
|CHEM A322||Organic Chemistry II||3|
|CHEM A323L||Organic Chemistry Laboratory||2|
|CHEM A411||Biophysical Chemistry||3|
|CHEM A418||Experiential Learning: Chemical Instrumentation and Methods||5|
|CHEM A441||Principles of Biochemistry I||3|
|CHEM A442||Principles of Biochemistry II||3|
|CHEM A443||Biochemistry Laboratory||2|
|CHEM A481||Experiential Learning: Undergraduate Seminar I||1|
|CHEM A482||Experiential Learning: Undergraduate Seminar II||2|
|MATH A251||Calculus I||4|
|STAT A253||Applied Statistics for the Sciences||4|
|Complete a PHYS sequence:||8|
|College Physics I|
and College Physics I Laboratory
|College Physics II|
and College Physics II Laboratory
|General Physics I|
and General Physics I Laboratory
|General Physics II|
and General Physics II Laboratory
|Choose 13 credits from the following upper division electives:||13|
|Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos|
|Molecular Spectroscopy and Structure|
|Principles of Animal Physiology|
|Experiential Learning: Biostatistics|
|Experiential Learning: Microbial Biotechnology|
|Molecular Biology of Cancer|
|Metals in Biology|
|Experiential Learning: Molecular Biology|
|Experiential Learning: Microbial Biology|
|Simulation of Physical Systems|
A minimum of 120 credits is required for the degree, of which 42 credits must be upper division.
Chemistry Option - Admission Suspended
Contact the Chemistry Department for advising concerning this degree option.
Honors in Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry awards departmental honors in chemistry to undergraduate students who show exceptional performance in all their coursework. To graduate with honors students must:
- Satisfy all requirements for a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry.
- Meet the requirements for Graduation with Honors.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.50 in CHEM classes.
- Complete, with distinction, a written assignment in the style of a chemical journal based on the research performed in CHEM A498.
- Notify the Departmental Honors Committee in writing at the time they file their Application for Graduation with the Office of the Registrar that they intend to graduate with departmental honors.